The market town of Tuxford was previously known as ‘Tuxford in the Clays’, ‘Tuckers Ford’, and as far back as the Doomsday Book, ‘Tuxfarne’. Over the centuries these lands were owned by many lords, the most recent being the Duke of Newcastle. In 1218 a charter was granted by Henry III to John de Lexington, allowing the village an annual fair and a weekly market, which brought Tuxford a new status as an independent trading centre.
Standing proud and tall in the centre of the village of Tuxford is the beautiful St Nicholas Church. Undoubtedly it is the oldest building in the parish. Although there is no mention of the church in the Doomsday Book, there was no doubt a place of worship on the site at the time. The victorian lamp, although not in its original position was unveiled on 31st December 1897 by the Duchess of Newcastle in commemoration of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee (Queen Victoria). On the same site, KSR Accountants is the only remaining building of what was formerly the Butter Market. This was open air until 1852 when the Duke of Newcastle built the indoor market for the local traders.
Opposite the church stands a gracious elegant building dated 1669. It was formerly known as the Read Grammar School. Charles Read of Darlton bequeathed funds to build and maintain a school for boys in his will. He left instructions that the school was to be administered by six local trustees to ensure that his rules were carried out. The ‘School Rules’ can still be seen hanging in the building today. Although it ceased to be a school in 1915, the Read’s Foundation still funds education in the village today.
Walks of Life Heritage Centre
The ‘Lock Up’
Tuxford has a community website: www.tuxfordonline.co.uk
How far is it?